Agile Fundamentals eLearning Course
Lessons and Learning Objectives
Whether you are just curious about how agile works, or are already actively involved in agile projects, developing an agile mindset can help your teams operate more effectively. This self-directed e-Learning course will explore the fundamentals of agile project development, as well as the practices, tools, and techniques you need to understand to successfully implement agile methods on your projects. A good understanding of agile methods and practices will do more than simply add new tricks to your project toolbox—it can actually help your projects deliver more value!
Course Learning Objectives
At the conclusion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the unifying themes of agile and the four components of its value proposition
- Understand the values and principles of the Agile Manifesto
- Implement agile principles in product development and project management
- Utilize the basic elements of two major agile methodologies, Scrum and XP, in their day-to-day role
- Develop, prioritize, and maintain a product backlog
- Use agile estimating processes and techniques to plan a project, from beginning to end
- Create and decompose user stories to iteratively build a product solution
- Use low-tech, high touch tools to track progress and radiate project information
- Apply agile's servant leadership approach to managing teams
- Conduct iteration reviews and retrospectives to continuously improve the team's processes and practices
- Lesson 1: What Is Agile?
- The Agile Manifesto
- The Twelve Principles of the Agile Manifesto
- Lesson 2: Agile Methodologies and Unifying Themes
- The Agile Methodologies Overview
- Unifying Themes of Agile Approaches
- Lesson 3: Project Initiation
- Agile Process Overview
- Project Visioning and Initiation
- User stories
- Managing the backlog
- Lesson 4: Release Planning
- Agile planning and estimating
- Release planning
- Agile prioritization methods
- Story points and velocity
- Lesson 5: Inside the Iterations
- Iteration planning
- Build and test the product increment
- Project reporting and tracking
- Lesson 6: Agile Teams
- Agile teams
- Leading and agile team
- Co-located and distributed teams
- Lesson 7: Reviews and Retrospectives/Course Wrap-up
- Continuous improvement
- The retrospective process
- Continuous improvement
- Cross-platform compatible with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0 and higher, or any version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.
- Requires a device (computer or tablet—6 inch screen minimum) connected to the Internet.
- Broadband Internet recommended.
- Pop-ups should be allowed.
- This course will use data if viewed in a mobile environment.
TECHNOLOGY UPDATE: Please note that RMC is in the process of updating all eLearning courses from an Adobe Flash platform to an HTML5 platform. Courses that have not yet been converted will have a technical specification that differs from the one above. Click here for more information.